Tuesday, November 25, 2008

"Live at the Budokan"

The Beatles are one of my favorite subjects to read about. Also, "Wayne's World" is one of my favorite movies (I know, I should be ashamed.) Anyway, in one of their conversations, Wayne and Garth describe a girl as "She is Live at the Budokan." I never knew what that meant until I read Magical Mystery Tours, My Life with the Beatles by Tony Bramwell.

Bramwell told about the Beatles doing five shows at the famous martial arts venue in Japan.

"...security continued at the five shows at the Nippon Budokan...There was a great deal of protest over using the Budokan for pop concerts, the first time it had ever been used in such a way....It was a sacred place, more usually used for martial arts displays. Later, in the 1970 and 1980s, everybody did a "Live at the Budokan" album. "

Therefore, "she is Live at the Budokan" must be a real compliment, like she is famous enough or great enough metaphorically to be having a show at the Budokan, like all those famous rock groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment