Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Pumpkin Bread



"I may not be the world's greatest cook, but I think you'll enjoy my cornflakes."

This has been my motto throughout my life. I really can't cook very well. WITH ONE EXCEPTION: I make wonderful pumpkin bread.

I got this recipe from Wayne's grandmother, Olive Wixom. We lived across the street from them in Layton, Utah for 5 years, and they were so helpful and kind to us. She was a fabulous cook, but unfortunately, every time I made something using her recipes it never turned out right. I would ask her about it, and she would admit that she would throw in extra this or that, and leave out something, or do it by memory and actually not use the recipe too closely.

But for this pumpkin bread recipe, my cooking DOES taste just like hers. Its the one and only recipe I have of hers that I use.

Olive Wixom’s Pumpkin Bread


1 1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup applesauce
2 eggs
1 cup cooked mashed pumpkin (Pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling)


Mix these. Then add dry ingredients

1 3/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/3 cup water
1 cup nuts

Combine and beat. Bake 1 hour 350 degrees.

A double recipe uses one 15 oz. can pumpkin.
A double recipe makes 5 small loaves or 3 medium loaves.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Mom, I made some pumpkin bread 2 weeks ago and it was pretty good, but not the same because I didn't have this recipe.

    ReplyDelete