Monday, February 2, 2009

Book Review: Confessions of a Slacker Wife

Muffy Mead-Ferro wrote the book Confessions of a Slacker Wife, which I enjoyed. Here is my favorite paragraph from the book:

p. 108 "Maybe this is as good a time as any to notify my friends and family that one word I'd rather not be used to describe me in my obituary is the word "busy". I don't want to be remembered as someone who hustled and bustled through life. I wouldn't mind the term "hard worker". If someone wanted to say "multitalented" that would be fine. But those traits are different from being busy-busy-busy.

In fact, I wouldn't be upset, or come back to haunt you in any way, if my obituary actually said, "She seemed to have an inordinate amount of free time."

For the women I know, ...maybe even for the men, free time needs to be a higher priority. Free time is something we should have in abundance in our wealthy country, but we don't because we're too busy. We're so appalled at the idea of wasting our time that we've actually become adept at simply looking busy, even when we have nothing to do."

No comments:

Post a Comment