Monday, July 27, 2009

I played Sariah at Hill Cumorah



Well, it has taken me a week to finally get something posted about being in the cast of the Hill Cumorah Pageant. We left home July 2 for Palmyra, New York, and got back home July 20. It was one of the most spiritually uplifting vacations one could ever have, but also the most tiring.

Registration and casting happened Friday July 3. All the principal roles were given out during the course of about 3 hours. First they cast the women. Tara tried out for a "movement" role, so had to dance a certain set of motions over and over and over for about a half hour while the directors gave out role cards to each person. She was cast as a Lamanite Campfire Dancer.

Next, the directors came over to all the women who were not trying out for "movement" roles. I hoped to be in a crowd scene, like I had been in 2003 and 2005. Instead they picked me for the role of SARIAH! I was completely stunned.

Zac tried out for a movement role, and was cast as a Lamanite Battleman. Wayne was an Unbeliever Torchbearer in the scene of "A Day a Night and a Day" (where the believers are about to be killed just before Christ's birth.)

The casting happened Friday night, and Saturday morning rehearsals began. I felt overwhelmed with what I had to learn. Sariah is in the first fourth of the pageant. I realized the magnitude of my role, and cried for two days. I couldn't even talk about it without my throat closing up and my eyes watering. I felt so inadequate and that I was going to be such a horrible actress that I would ruin all the scenes I was in.

Rehearsals took up hours and hours all the first week. With a lot of prayer and faith in God, I became more comfortable with my role and felt that I finally learned it okay. By the time the performances started on Thursday July 9, I didn't even get nervous. MORE LATER.

About the photo: This was taken during one of our first dress rehearsals. Obviously Wayne did not wear his sunglasses on stage. Also, by the time performances began, they made me wear a long black wig.

No comments:

Post a Comment