Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Beck harassed

BECK & FAMILY HARASSED DURING OUTDOOR MOVIE NIGHT IN NYC PARK

There are those who love freedom of expression, as long as it’s not conservatives who are doing the expressing. Just ask Glenn Beck. On radio Tuesday, he told the stunning story of how he and his family were harassed during an outdoor movie in New York City’s Bryant Park.
For those unfamiliar with Bryant Park, it hosts weekly showings of classic films during the summer months. Attendees bring blankets and picnic dinners and sprawl out on the park’s great lawn while watching the films on a giant screen.
As Beck explained, he attended Monday night‘s public showing of Alfred Hitchcock’s “The 39 Steps” with his wife and daughter. During the film, he was ridiculed, had someone “kick a cup” of wine on his wife and on his blanket, and even witnessed another person stand up and yell, “We hate conservatives here!”
“These people were some of the most hateful people I have ever seen,” Beck said. “All I wanted to do is go out on a blanket with my family and have dinner in the afternoon sun and sit around Americans, not like-minded Americans, and just watch a movie in the park.  And last night at about‑‑ when the movie was just about over, my wife and I got out because it was hostile.”
When Beck left near the end of the movie, the crowd applauded.
“I don’t know what kind of victory you thought you won,” Beck said on radio in response, and later added, “I swear to you I think if I would have suggested, and I almost did, wow, does anybody have a rope, because there’s a tree here, you could just lynch me. And I think there would have been a couple in the crowd that would have.”
Despite the obvious hurtful elements of the story, Beck used it as an opportunity to deliver a message to conservatives:
All through the evening, I wanted to say to you today, please, please, please don’t ever treat anybody like that. If Van Jones comes and sits next to you, please don’t treat anybody like that, and then I realized I don’t have to say that to you. 
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/beck-family-accosted-and-harassed-during-outdoor-movie-night-in-nyc-park/ 


Update June 29:  See this new article:  http://www.theblaze.com/stories/woman-seated-near-beck-at-movie-claims-innocence-but-what-does-twitter-tell-us/  The woman who spilled the wine claims innocence, but her Twitter tweets show otherwise.

2 comments:

  1. Mom, I love you very much, but I do not hold Glenn Beck in very high regard and I find his closing comment offensive and holier-than-thou. I can't imagine a liberal icon going to an outdoor movie in the deep south and coming away unscathed. The way he was treated is deplorable, but worse things happen to sports fans all the time for something as simple as cheering for the other team. Glenn effectively went to the other team's tailgate party wearing the wrong colors.

    Isaac

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hoping you got that impression only because I cut off the end of his comment when I posted it. Here is the rest of it.

    "All through the evening, I wanted to say to you today, please, please, please don’t ever treat anybody like that. If Van Jones comes and sits next to you, please don’t treat anybody like that, and then I realized I don’t have to say that to you. I was there at 8/28. I saw when people were pointing their finger in your face and calling you a racist, setting you up, egging you on, I saw how you reacted. I don’t have to tell you that."

    I disagree with what you said about his comment being offensive and holier-than-thou. He was speaking to his own audience, because he had been with them at the same event I attended in Wash. DC, and he was saying that he had already seen their reactions, and because of that experience he could have confidence that they would be peaceable in the future as well.

    And it is deplorable that a person can peacefully sit down at a public venue and get harassed like that. Someday similar people with hate-filled hearts will be treating us that same way, if the populace gets irked at our religion.

    ReplyDelete