Sunday, June 28, 2009

Marking the scriptures


For your viewing pleasure, here are the beautiful purple flowers Wayne planted so successfully around our mailbox. I love this color!


I read an article by Henry B. Eyring (an apostle) about the way he marks the scriptures. He gets a new Book of Mormon and decides what topic he wants to study. Then he reads the whole thing, only marking that topic.

I have always been interested in the recordkeeping in the Book of Mormon. When did Nephi make the small plates and the large plates? When did the 24 plates get found, and when did they get translated? When did the Nephites have access to those translated records? When will we get the records from the Lost Ten Tribes or more from John the Revelator?

So I went through the whole Book of Mormon from Nov. 2008-March 2009, and marked it. Now I am trying to type up my findings.

But in the meantime, I have started marking another one. This time I am marking every time it mentions a tribe (Nephites, people of Ammon, Amalekites, Ishmaelites, etc), also every place name (Shilom, Land of Nephi, etc.) and directional information (they went DOWN to the land of Nephi). I want to try to figure out on my own some of the logistics and migrations and where things are located. (As if I could do that better than Hugh Nibley. Fat chance.)

No comments:

Post a Comment