Sunday, August 9, 2009

Knee Surgery 1986

Patti's knee is injured so we haven't been able to walk once a week. (I miss her!) She is having knee surgery on Tuesday.

I had that same surgery in 1986, after I went skiing on New Year's Day and my bindings didn't release and my ski twisted all the way around. I got to go down the mountain in a Ski Patrol sled. After my surgery on Jan. 28 I came out of general anesthesia and saw all the nurses gathered around the TV because the Challenger had just exploded in midair.

When I came home from the hospital, I was on crutches for about three weeks. People helped me but for the most part every day I was on my own. Adam was 3 1/2, Isaac was 2, and Seth was seven months old. Of course I couldn't carry Seth, so I would go on crutches into their room, pick Seth up out of his crib, and put him on a blanket on the floor. Then Adam would pull the blanket and Seth into the living room. Fun times.

No comments:

Post a Comment