Thursday, August 6, 2009

Two Cumorahs post #1

Wayne and I got talking Monday night about the current and recent studies going on by LDS scholars. We realized that up through our teenage years we were taught that the Book of Mormon covered all of North and South America. I think it wasn't until the 1980's that the scholars started showing that the Book of Mormon most likely covered only a very limited geographical area in central America.

Also, I remember when a Gospel Doctrine teacher in the early 1990's taught us about the "Two Hill Cumorahs" theory, how I was so mad that I went home and read in detail every single thing I could get my hands on about the Hill Cumorah, and came to the conclusion that he was probably correct. All the current LDS scholars are pretty much convinced that the original Hill Cumorah, where the Nephites were exterminated, was in Central America, and the Hill Cumorah in New York state was a second Cumorah where the records were placed later. (Click HERE to read an article about that on the Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship website.)

(to be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment