Friday, December 3, 2010

Isaac told his 4-yr-old daughter "There is no Santa"

Rachel posted on Facebook that Isaac told their daughter that there is no Santa.   I have to take some blame or credit, or actually ALL the blame or credit.

When Adam was a tiny boy, we went the normal Santa route, until I heard Adam tell everyone that Santa, He-Man, and God were all the most powerful people in the universe.  That hurt my feelings because I didn't want him equating those two make-believe people with God.

So we went ahead and had Christmas just like everyone, but we just never made a big deal about Santa at all.   We even called the kids' biggest present each year their "Santa" present, but that was just a title we gave it, we never really claimed it was delivered down the chimney.

The kids heard about Santa from everyone else, and saw Santa decor everywhere, but they just never heard it from us.  When any of our kids finally asked us if Santa was real, I would tell them "No, he's just pretend" but then I would ask them not to tell any of their friends because I didn't want their parents to be mad at us.

I have a strong desire to make Christmas a Christ-centered holiday, so I steer away from Santa decorations, reindeer, elves, and sleighs.  I am fine with the more middle-of-the-road non-Christ decorations like gingerbread houses, candy canes, wreaths, Christmas trees, poinsettias, they seem innocent enough.  But what I REALLY like is nativity scenes.  That says Christmas to me more than anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment