Monday, August 2, 2010

How Kyle Shupe Joined the Church

(We talked to Bryce last night, he is just starting 2 weeks as an EFY counselor in Nauvoo. They arrived in Nauvoo on Saturday, just in time to see the last night of the Nauvoo pageant.)



Photo of William Kyle Shupe and his wife Martha Elizabeth Stover Shupe.

My maternal grandmother was Norma Shupe. Norma's father was William Kyle Shupe. He was the first convert in his family.
Here are his own words:

"It was election year 1888. I heard that there were two Mormon preachers down on Knobford (Virginia) and being interested in God and his word I wanted to hear what they had to say. Elder Chipman looked familiar as an old acquaintance---his voice as well. As we shook hands he said, "We have known each other sometime." And as he held my hand he looked me in the face and said, "You will be a Mormon someday, you are of the blood of Israel." I learned more about religion that night from that sermon than I had ever learned before.

I studied their tracts and literature and wanted to be baptized but my father would not give me permission until I was of age (21).

I got a letter from the missionaries and determined to go meet with them and get baptized after my 21st birthday. I proceeded and waded mud for three days, a distance of 70 miles, with some rain each day.

Late Saturday morning I arrived at the post office from which the letter came. Upon inquiring for the Elders the Postmaster said, "They were here looking for you an hour ago." I answered that I had not written and they had no way of knowing I was coming. He insisted, "They told me to instruct you where you could find them." This he did.

I walked a mile or so from the post office when I saw a man climb upon a stump and then come running to meet me. It was Elder Duffin. He said, "I knew you were coming. I saw you in a dream last night. I told the Postmaster to send you on down." Next morning I was baptized and confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ, April 14, 1889."


My mother loved her grandfather so much. He was a righteous member of the Church and went to the Mesa temple every day in his old age. He was hit by a car as he crossed the street to go to the temple, and died March 11, 1962.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a beautiful story...thank you so much for posting this! My husband is also descended from William Kyle and Martha Shupe.(Troy Maeser Shupe was great grandfather, and Edith Mae Shupe was Grandmother) It is such a treasure to have stories like this, I will be sure, when my children are older, that I pass this story down to them!
    Erica Noble in NY

    ReplyDelete