Sunday, August 29, 2010

Well-Roundedness versus Specialization

Got back from Washington D.C. last night at 12:30. Don't have time to write about the Glenn Beck event now, and this pre-loaded post came up already so I'm just going to leave it. Tomorrow I will write all about our grand adventure!



I was looking around at a few websites and blogs about preparedness. One of them had this quote:

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

--Robert Heinlein


Wow! I don't measure up too well.

But when times get tough, we will be thankful for every skill we have. The latest skill I have been trying to learn has been vegetable gardening. And I have to say, I am better at it after these two summers than I ever was before. So I know that if we take one skill at a time and try to master it, we can do it.

And maybe if we all learn different skills from each other, we can BARTER. That would work too.

No comments:

Post a Comment