Sunday, January 9, 2011

Julie Beck's "Nice to Do" list

This is the third category Julie Beck talked about at the BYU Women's Conference, April 2010.
The third category has to do with the nice-to-do things. Those are crafts and hobbies and recreational reading and movies and travel and lunches with friends. A lot of women call this “time out.” These things won’t save us. They add variety to our lives, but they won’t save us. When our priorities are on that list, and our time is devoted to those nice-to-do things, our priorities are out of order, and we lose power.
To walk with the Lord, we have to know what is essential, what is necessary, and what is nice to do. There is a lot to do, but I find that it is amazing how much I get to do on my nice-to-do list. The Lord blesses us with those mercies, but only if the other priorities are in order."
I have a personal testimony that Heavenly Father blesses us to do those things we want to do, if we do his work first.

In 1999, I had my heart set on making a quilt to enter into the Church History and Art Museum International Art Competition.  In July 1999, I was called to be the chairman of the Public Affairs committee for the Raleigh Temple Open House.  I cried about the conflict, I didn't know how I could possibly do both.

But as it turned out, I finished the quilt and also made it through the hundreds of hours involved with the temple open house.  The quilt was juried into the museum and hung there for six months.  I know for a fact that when I said yes to that calling, the Lord gave me the extra hours in the day to be able to make that quilt, because it was a desire of my heart.  It was a tender mercy from him. 


"Book of Mormon Stories", 103" high x 60" wide, copyright 2000.

2 comments:

  1. That quilt is beautiful! How talented you are!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking for something else by Sister Beck today and found your blog post. Your quilt is beautiful, but your testimony of putting first things first is even more so. This is what I needed to read today. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete