Thursday, April 7, 2011

Feeling defensive: I have good reasons for getting my food storage

I got into a slightly heated conversation with a church member yesterday, she was not at all pleased with the way I was focused so much on food storage.  She was troubled by my feeling of urgency to buy the food and survival items that I feel are needed, and was trying to talk me out of it.

She is probably not the only one who wants to tell me "Things are not so bad",  "The Lord will bless us" and "We don't have to worry, prices are cyclical, they'll come back down."

But I disagree.  I love history, and have read too many books on how economies collapse, how currency hyperinflates, and what it looks like just before a big stock market crash.  I can see that the dollar index keeps falling, that gold and silver are breaking records, and that the stock market keeps climbing without any logical reasons.

I am feeling an urgency to get food storage because food prices are hitting records, the unemployment rate is much higher than reported, and the European Union, Japan, the United States, and every single individual state of the union are all completely awash in debt.   And I don't even want to get started talking about the unrest in the Middle East, oil prices, natural disasters, nuclear disasters, and secret combinations.

I am feeling a little picked on.  So what if we spend our discretionary income on food storage?  It doesn't hurt her.  I'm not going into debt for it.  And if I have extra food storage, so much the better for those people who are around me.  So don't jump all over me and tell me to lay off on the food storage.  I feel great urgency to get it and hopefully it will bless others as well.

And just in case you don't know all the things going wrong right now, here's an unusual story from CNBC.  Every once in a while the smiling pundits there will come out from their happy "this bull-market will keep going forever"  and actually point out some somber facts:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/42429560 "Could 2011 Be Worse Than 2008? Don't Rule It Out".


(In case you don't remember 2008, we had the largest market crash since the Great Depression. And in two-and-a-half years, the Dow still hasn't gotten back up into the 14,000's where it had been before the crash.) 


Here's the scariest part of the article:


"The one major difference between early 2008 and early 2011 is that this time, the numbers are bigger."  Read the article to find out more.

2 comments:

  1. She'll be coming to visit you when you have food and she doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete