Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Indoor camping adventure

As part of my ongoing quest for emergency preparedness, I re-thought my hatred of camping.  If I ever have to evacuate my home and camp out for awhile, I want to know how to do it.  So I told Wayne I wanted to go camping, and he said, "Who are you and what did you do with my wife?"

We had planned to camp out at Umstead State Park on Friday night, but because thunderstorms were in the forecast, we did the next best thing:  camped in our living room.



I learned how to set up our new tent, I learned to set up our cots, we measured everything to see what size storage boxes would fit under the cots.  I tested out the pad for my cot, and pronounced it "very comfortable."

 I felt very spoiled that we had electric lights, and that no bugs bothered us.   I loved it that the "outhouses" had regular flush toilets and were only a few steps away from our tent.

My next attempt at camping will be in the great outdoors, and because I practiced at home, I will be able to bring the right bedding and know that I have everything.  Wayne plans to start giving me lessons on building a fire and cooking outdoors.

Here is a quote I like: "Almost any fool can survive in discomfort.  It takes planning and skill to survive in comfort."

No comments:

Post a Comment