Friday, April 29, 2011

Kate Middleton's Dress had Sleeves!



I worked in a bridal factory, making and designing bridal veils and hats, when I was first married.  Almost all wedding dresses had sleeves.   Then Princess Diana got married and she had big puffy sleeves.  For many years there were a mixture of strapless and sleeved dresses in the bridal magazines.

Something happened around 10? years ago.  ALL bridal dresses became strapless.  There was no choice at all for LDS brides in the bridal shops, so you had to buy from an LDS company or you had to make a little shrug or jacket to go over the dress.  I have been waiting and WAITING for this fashion to change.  And Hooray!  Maybe Kate Middleton is the person I have been waiting for, to shove the fashion designers back the other way.  I was SO SICK of strapless wedding dresses, that trend has been going on for way too long.

(This subject reminds me of a poem Dorothy Parker once wrote, that I barely remember; in the poem, she referred to the future where the dresses would get more and more bare and we would be left wearing "a gownless evening strap.")





And some bad news about the economy:
"The next two months:  Best Case, Medium Case, and Worst Case"
http://www.shtfplan.com/forecasting/the-next-two-months-best-case-medium-case-worst-case_04292011

2 comments:

  1. Actually, I think sleeves were a requirement. All the women in attendance had sleeves and hats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Note that Michelle Obama rarely wears sleeves.

    ReplyDelete