Friday, May 28, 2010

Janette's Birthday

Janette and Seth moved to Cary a couple of weeks ago. My brain is still not accustomed to the fact that they live here now. Apparently my mind still thinks they live in Utah. They have dropped in several times, and it is the strangest thing, each time they walk into my house I do a double-take and say to myself, "What are they doing here? They live in Utah."

And then I remember. But there is always a split-second of confusion.

Anyway...

Today is Janette's birthday, and it will be her first birthday as a married woman AND her first birthday living near her inlaws.

Warning to Janette: The Wayne and Amy family is very untalented at celebrating birthdays. We sometimes try, but we usually fail. So just remember to train your husband to celebrate your birthday in the manner to which you are accustomed. Because the rest of the family might have good intentions, but we are pretty old and set in our ways. So you may not be able to retrain all of us. However, you and your sisters-in-laws could probably push the family toward more celebratory traditions if you all make it a common goal. And that would really be an improvement for our family.

I apoligize in advance to all my daughters-in-laws because I know I didn't train my sons well in gift giving. Any talents they have in this area came from their own personalities, not from me.

Here is a hint from one of my relatives:
She noticed that her husband was a dud at celebrating her birthday. After several years of crying from disappointment, she decided to let her wishes be known. So every year, she finds 3 or 4 wonderful things and she tells him about them in advance. "Remember, on my birthday we are going to go out for dinner at ___________." And "Remember, on my birthday, you need to come home from work early." And "Remember, my favorite flowers are ______________ and I would love a big bouquet of them on my birthday."

Her husband loves her and so he does all those things, and she is happy she got the birthday she wanted, and he is happy he didn't have to think of them.

P.S. Janette, I hope you have a very happy birthday today!

1 comment: