Wednesday, January 7, 2009

"Book of Mormon Stories" Quilt, post #1




I made this 103" x 60" quilt in 2000, specifically for the 2000 International Fine Arts Competition for the Church Museum of Arts and History, and it was accepted and hung in the museum March - Sept 2000. (Click on photo to make it bigger.)

People of all faiths have enjoyed seeing my "Book of Mormon Stories" quilt. When I speak at guilds, I speak about the technical parts of the quilt, but in seeing the pictures they can't help learning something about the Book of Mormon in the process.

I look at it this way--if a person was from some Eastern religion, and had made a pictorial quilt using pictures from their own religious writings that I wasn't familiar with, I wouldn't feel offended if they told me a tiny bit about what each block portrayed. I don't go into much detail at all, but I do show them the block where Christ comes to America. Thats an important part of the Book of Mormon, and it is the central block of the quilt, and besides, it has some cool embellishment on it. So I tell about the embellishment techniques and then go on with my lecture. Just my own little contribution to their knowledge.

I plan to make many more quilts related to my faith in God, I think it is a great topic and I want to show that I am open about my religion, and able to show my beliefs in public.

No comments:

Post a Comment