Tuesday, January 20, 2009

More Joy of Being Amy

(this is the second half of the talk I gave in Tara's Laurel class at church on Sunday.)
I was called to be the Public Affairs chairman for the Raleigh temple open house around July 1999, and I accepted the calling, but I went home discouraged because I had wanted to enter the Church International Art competition and the deadline was Nov. 1999. The temple open house was Dec. 1999, and I didn't think I could do both. I know the Lord helped me, because even though I was dreadfully busy doing the planning for the open house, it was like I had a timeturner from the Harry Potter books, because I miraculously finished my "Book of Mormon Stories" quilt in time for the competition, and the quilt was accepted into the museum. The Lord blessed me with what I wanted, because I was willing to do the work he called me to do.

We were blessed with money for our boys' missions. I was miraculously hired to do a large commission quilt for the A.J. Fletcher Opera Theater in 2001-2002, and it more than paid for Adam's mission, and it gave me joy to feel that I was a success at my quilting career

Because of the way the Lord has helped me in the past, I know that He would help me now to teach seminary and to continue my quilting business. I struggled with it for the first year I was teaching seminary, but by the second year I decided I just couldn't stand to do both.

So it is my own decision to take a sabbatical from teaching quilting, I just can't take the stress of the business plus prepare a seminary lesson every day. But I don't feel bad about it, because I know that the Lord didn't force me to quit my business, I know it was my own decision.

I know that the Lord wants us to have joy, and helps us with our joy. If it is important to us, the Lord will help us because He loves us. I know that the Lord helps us in our responsibilities and in our church callings.

1 comment:

  1. It truly is amazing what the Lord blesses you with when you do his will. I took a two year "sabbatical" as well with this last baby - and when I was ready to pick my business back up..... well. My cup overfloweth!

    ReplyDelete