Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A Near Tragedy in the Lake


Wayne and I went on a walk a week ago, after we got 6 inches of snow. We have a lake in our neighborhood, and there is a parkbench on a tall bank by the lake. I went over to it and brushed the snow off the bench, and suddenly I slipped on the steep snowcovered bank and started sliding down toward the water. (Above: You can see in the snow the place where I slid down.)

Miraculously I grabbed the park bench and stopped sliding. I was so shocked, I realized I almost fell into the icy cold water. I kept thinking of it the rest of the day, what would have happened? I guess it was shallow enough for me to have gotten right out, but I would have been so cold and wet and it was about a half mile to our house. Moral of the story- stay far away from the edge of the cliff. You never know when you will slip and fall.

Below: I took that photo from the other side of the lake. You can see the bench at the top of the bank. (click on photos to make them bigger.)

(P.S. Lyric had read my Chuck It List, and commented that I should be careful what I say I will never do, because it might happen. "Never go swimming again" is on the list. She was right, I almost went swimming.)

No comments:

Post a Comment