Friday, March 6, 2009

No Peanuts, No Veggies, Jim Cramer

I get up at 5 am every morning to get ready for seminary, and since Wayne leaves home at 3:45 am to get to IBM by 4 am I can have the radio on full blast in the bathroom.

The radio station I listen to has the Agriculture News on every morning at that time. It has been fascinating to hear what the farmers know. For instance, did you know that the big salmonella scare in peanut products was linked to only one company (Peanut Corporation of America), and that the rest are fine? Jif and big peanut distributors like that had nothing to do with it, so peanut products coming from those are perfectly safe. (see the recall list HERE.)

However, because the public got scared and stopped buying peanut products, that has caused havoc amongst the peanut farmers. They don't know whether to plant this year or not. The news story this morning was that most farmers still haven't decided to plant peanuts, and it is getting pretty late in the season to be making that decision, since they still have to buy fertilizer, etc. So I would say we better buy all our peanut butter for food storage, since the price might go sky high soon.

I am also now fully aware of the drought in California. California grows one-sixth of the nation's produce, but look at their water situation:

"The US Bureau of Reclamation, which manages water allocation in arid regions, announced last week it will not provide vital irrigation to Central Valley farmers this year because of drought, and the California State Water Project expects to meet only 15 percent of water requests." (for full article, click HERE)

So what is that going to do to the availability and the price of fruits and vegetables? I have high hopes to begin my own small garden soon and I hope that will start our family on the path of growing more of our own food instead of ZERO.

I truly believe that we are living in the last days, prophecies are starting to be fulfilled all around us, and we need to follow our latter-day prophets and get our food storage and gardens and savings. Hard times are upon us and may get much worse.

I highly recommend the Totally Ready blog, it covers all these kinds of subjects.



(BEWARE: POLITICS BELOW)
I swore that I wouldn't discuss politics on this blog. I am a very strong conservative, and agree with Rush Limbaugh and Ronald Reagan. But I have some very dear friends and relatives that have opposing views. So I am going to withhold saying anything, but I will put this link on if anyone wants to read it.
It is an article by Jim Cramer: "My Response to the White House", on why he disagrees with what Obama is doing with the economy. Cramer is a financial analyst for the stock market on CNBC and elsewhere. Interestingly enough, Cramer is a Democrat. Click HERE to read his article.

No comments:

Post a Comment