Thursday, February 25, 2010

Civics Lesson

I heard on the radio that the Wake County Republican Party was holding its precincts "neighborhood" conventions on Monday night, so I found out where to go and I went. It was my very first time to attend a political meeting.

I arrived at the elementary school at 6:30 pm, and signed in. I had to look at my voter registration card to find out my District # and my Precinct #. I believe the meeting was of all the precincts in my district.

Then I looked for the table with a sign for that precinct number, and sat with the other 6-7 people there. Some said they had been active in county politics in other states and were just starting here. Some said they were new, like me. One was a candidate for our district in the state house, so he has been involved in politics awhile.

The meeting started with a cub scout bringing in the flag, then we did the Pledge of Allegiance, and someone said a prayer. (Starting with "Dear God" and ending with "Amen", no mention of Jesus so I hope no one was offended.)

Then the District chairman led the meeting. We saw a power point presentation about Wake County, talking about where our strong precincts were and where our weak ones were. Where we needed stronger leadership. Where they would be doing more door-to-door contacting.

Then we saw a video of the Wake County Republican Chairman, congratulating the various Republicans in our county who won elections last November, and talking about the upcoming fall 2010 elections.

After that, the district chairman drew our attention to all the stacks of papers at each table. "Now you are to caucus in your precinct, and decide who will be the precinct chairman, vice chairman, etc."

We all looked at each other, and I pretty much said I was brand new so I wasn't interested in being the chairman. I took the paper and signed up to be a poll observer during the Primary and the fall elections. Someone else finally signed up to be the chairman.

Next we took the papers that were applications to go to the Wake County Republican Convention. The district chairman told us that for each 100 registered voters in a precinct, one person could go as a delegate to the Wake County Convention. So our precinct could have 10 delegates, and since there were only 6-7 of us in attendance, we all got to sign up. It cost $15 to go.

At the end of the meeting, the three candidates in attendance got to give short presentations on why we should support them. There were two men running for our District NC House seat. One man had been in the Morrisville town council for two terms, and his opponent has been in the NC House before. It is interesting to try to make up my mind, who would be better? Do I agree with one's views more than the other? How much do I want to rely on experience? Then a third man stood up, he is running for US Congress. His presentation was good, as well. Then, the meeting was over. I think they only have one of those meetings per year.

It was a very interesting experience. And now I am an official delegate to go to the Wake County Republican Convention in March, and I'm pretty excited about it. I have always wondered how elections work, and how candidates get themselves known, and how people sign up to work on campaigns, and how the grassroots influences the elections. I am certainly learning it first hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment