Sunday, February 14, 2010

Rude Awakening

When I was a freshman and sophomore at BYU I dated a guy named Kevin H. He and I really thought we were going to get married, but he left on his mission and I married Wayne a year later.

Anyway, Kevin and I gave lots of mushy presents to each other. We were always doing crafts and giving them to each other, he wrote me songs and poems, we did treasure hunts for each other to find the presents, all kinds of BYU stuff like that. I thought that is what you did in a relationship.

Later, when I was dating Wayne, we had only been dating a very short time when Feb. 14 rolled around. I tried to think of what to give him for Valentine's Day. I've never been much for buying storebought greeting cards, so I glued my picture in the middle of a pink construction paper heart, and glued some candy hearts around it with messages on it. I guess I secretly left it in Wayne's room, I don't remember how I gave it to him.




Later, I was in Wayne's room and I saw the card in the trash. I said something about it, and he said, "Oh, I don't save crap like that."

(Ouch!)

In honor of that memorable day 30 years ago today, I have recreated that same Valentine Card, using the same photo. (I pulled the photo off the card when he threw the card away.) This is about what it looked like.

And I have to say, after I got over the shock that Wayne was not like Kevin, I have really appreciated his down-to-earth style. It has suited me perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment