Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Teaching Quilting Again


I got hired by some moms in my ward to give their 8th grade daughters some sewing lessons. The moms wanted the girls to do this as one of their Personal Progress experiences.

First, I taught them to make these little coin purses.

Then, I taught them to make Crooked Log Cabin quilt blocks.

I rarely teach classes in my home. For years I travelled and taught quilting at quilt guilds. For the past four years my business has fallen off because I've been teaching seminary and not advertising myself. But I have two contracts this year: I will be teaching at 2 quilt guilds in Tennessee in April and at 2 quilt guilds in Texas in July.

I just received notification that two of my quilts, "Five-thirty A.M." and "He Loves Me" were accepted into the American Quilters Society national competition in March. It would be great to win a big award and get my name out there again. I haven't even entered a competition since Feb. 2009, so I'm happy that I entered this one.

With the end of 4 years of teaching seminary in sight, I am feeling a little better about picking up my business again. I think I am getting excited to do it again.

Oh, by the way, on Sunday when everybody was over here for dinner, Elizabeth said, "Let's sew!" and wanted me to go up in my sewing room with her. So we went up there, and we sewed the borders on her little quilt, and then we brought it down stairs and she handsewed the first 3 letters of her name on it: E L I. Then she got tired, so we stopped. But she is so enthusiastic about this project and so determined to do it, I bet it will be done in about 3 more sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment