Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Thirty Years Ago- Cancelling my mission



About 30 years ago, I was falling in love with Wayne, but I was waiting for my mission call. I got more and more worried about it, so on Feb. 24, 1980 I went in to see the stake president in my BYU stake. I said I didn't know what to do, because maybe I should get married instead of going on a mission.

The stake president opened his desk drawer, and Surprise! He had forgotten to mail in my papers.

He said, "This can be our little secret. You just keep acting like you are waiting for your call, and after a few weeks you can come back and tell me to mail them if you want me to."

So I went home, and that evening Wayne said, "The way I see it, we have 3 choices. Either we can keep dating until you leave, and then I won't wait for you. Or we can quit dating right now. Or you can cancel your mission and we can get married."

I surprised him and said, "I just went to see the stake president today, and my mission call is on hold."

He said he about died of shock. See, we had only been really dating for about a month, and I was going out with other guys for the first two weeks of that, and he had no idea if I even felt the same way about him. So it is pretty miraculous, looking back on the timeline.

(The next installment of this story will be on March 1.)

No comments:

Post a Comment