Monday, June 14, 2010

Bartering in our Future?

I had highly recommended the book "One Second After" in this blog on 4-14-2010, so my friend chose it for her book club to read.

She said the whole group was enthusiastic about the book, which is a fictionalized account of what happens in North Carolina when several ElectoMagnetic Pulses are caused by nuclear bombs exploded over the U.S.A. I was interested to find out that each of the women of the book club, after reading the book, unanimously said "We want to buy a gun."

One of the fascinating things in the book is that after both the government and communication system fail, the barter system blossoms. One of the favorite bartering items in the book is bullets.

My sister said some women in her ward were canning cigarettes to use as barter. (I wouldn't do that.) And others were canning M&M's.

I wouldn't know what kind of gun to buy if I wanted to buy one, and I also wouldn't know what kind of bullets to buy if I wanted to store them for bartering.

However, there ARE other things I am quite knowledgeable about. I think I could do a great job buying a large amount of feminine hygiene products and storing them in my attic. I betcha there would be a lot of women wanting to barter for those supplies.

The other thing I thought of was cloth diapers. Who has cloth diapers anymore? And even if you had cloth you could cut up to make some diapers, who in the world has any diaper pins? So last week when I was at Walmart, I bought several packages of cloth diapers, and many packages of diaper pins.

I don't want to invest in gold. I think Kotex and diapers will be better than gold.



Just a heads up:

It looks like other people are seeing bad times in the future as well. I had to read this article from CNBC when I saw the headline: "Markets About to Turn Nasty, Buy Barbed Wire"

Anthony Fry, senior managing director at Evercore Partners, told CNBC Monday....Fry is telling investors to play it safe and buy physical assets like land.

“I don’t want to scare anyone but I am considering investing in barbed wire and guns, things are not looking good and rates are heading higher,” he said.

1 comment:

  1. There is another series you can get through Deseret Book called "The Great and Terrible Series" by Chris Stewart. There are 6 or 7 books and the EMP happens in the 3rd or 4th book and that was first time I had ever heard of such a thing. The author is a former military guy and in his forward he said the US government is fully aware of this possibility but there is really no way to prepare for it so they just table it and move on to things they can do something about. FYI I did not like the first book but I had so many people recommend it that I read the 2nd and they got better with each book.

    ReplyDelete