Friday, September 2, 2011

In Gospel Doctrine


On Sunday in Gospel Doctrine we were discussing our relationship to our property and riches.  The teacher asked, What would you do if you were like Lehi and the Lord suddenly commanded you to leave everything?

I love that question and sat wondering what the people would say.

A man in our ward raised his hand, and said "I think that most of us would be more willing to follow the prophet if he told us to leave our homes than we are willing to do our home teaching."  His point was that we seem to be more willing to do the big callings and sometimes don't think the little items matter that much.

I raised my hand and said, "I have to respectfully disagree with that."

"You may think it would be more easy to obey when it is a big thing, but you have to remember that if you aren't doing the small things and feeling the promptings of the Holy Ghost in your daily lives, when the big requests come you will be less likely to recognize that this is a commandment of God you need to follow."

"Without personal righteousness you will be more likely to rationalize it away, or procrastinate, or rebel against it, or argue that the prophet is just giving his own opinion, or that the prophet is crazy, things are not that bad, or that it may be fine for everyone else, but because of (whatever reason) I am the exception to the rule."

"The only guarantee that we will recognize commandments or warnings is when we are living righteously, and that includes fulfilling all our church responsibilities.  If we don't, we are in danger."

1 comment:

  1. I think I agree with both of you to a point, however you indeed may be actually right. His argument makes sense to me , but maybe that is because we have never had to make that huge life changing decision. It’s easy to say now that you’d make it, however without the spirit confirming the decision as you suggest it would be difficult to do. I think I am more concerned however about being asked to give a large portion of my food storage away that I worked so hard to put aside, sacrificing a fancier car/home/toys for, and knowing that the majority of those who will be receiving it chose instead to disobey and seek after these worldly things first. I am trying to imagine making the decision to have my kids/family go hungry in order to put food in their mouths… Hard choice.

    ReplyDelete