Saturday, March 13, 2010

Harrowed Up

I was recently teaching from the book of Alma in the Book of Mormon in seminary. In Alma 36, Alma tells about how he repented of gross wickedness and was born of God.

He says:
"Verse 17: And it came to pass that as I was thus racked with torment, while I was harrowed up by the memory of my many sins, behold, I remembered also to have heard my father prophesy unto the people concerning the coming of one Jesus Christ, a Son of God, to atone for the sins of the world.

Verse 18: Now, as my mind caught hold upon this thought, I cried within my heart: O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me, who am in the gall of bitterness, and am encircled about by the everlasting chains of death.

Verse 19: And now, behold, when I thought this, I could remember my pains no more; yea, I was harrowed up by the memory of my sins no more.

Verse 20: And oh, what joy, and what marvelous light I did behold; yea, my soul was filled with joy as exceeding as was my pain!"


I never really thought about the words "harrowed up" until I went to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park a few years ago, and went to a pioneer village there.

I saw these harrows, and finally realized how much it must hurt to truly have your soul harrowed up.




It makes me understand the metaphor in the Book of Mormon, about faith being like a seed. If your soul is harrowed up, you have been prepared for the seed to be planted.

No comments:

Post a Comment