Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Food, Glorious Food



(Look at this gorgeous watermelon carved so that it looks like a floral bouquet.)
I had been on the South Beach diet from January to March, so when I stepped foot on that ship I was ready to pig out. I considered that all those uneaten calories were sitting in a calorie bank account just waiting for me to spend them.

We had dinner at 5:45 every evening, at the same table with the same waiters. It was like a 5 star restaurant. Very fancy entrees, appetizers, desserts, with the plates beautifully decorated. The first night I had no idea how to order, I tried to order just an entree, and the waiter said, "Is that all you want?" and I got confused and asked him what all the things on the menu were. After that I got the hang of it, and just ordered everything that looked good. I tried to keep track of my food in my diary, here's what I remembered to write down:

Sat: Hawaiian Pork
Sun: Halibut. Dessert- Love Boat Dream chocolate mousse, raspberry ice cream.
Mon: roast beef.
Tues: French onion soup. Veal cordon bleu.
Wed: Fried chicken, cheese soup.
Thurs: Entree was Pumpkin Crepes. Dessert: Banana ice cream and chocolate mousse pie.
Fri: Meatloaf, Baked Alaska

(Plus I usually had about 2 appetizers and at least 2 desserts per meal.)

I might not be perfectly suited for cruise food, because you can see that I really don't have that fancy of tastes. I ordered pretty normal foods because I don't like to try exotic foods and I don't like seafood. The chef was from Australia, and had been trained in Europe, so all the desserts were European. I have to admit that by the end of the cruise, I began to think of things that I was missing ( warm Tollhouse cookies, tapioca pudding, pecan pie, Boston cream filled Dunkin Donuts).

But all in all, the food was DELICIOUS and I will definitely try to do this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment