Monday, March 1, 2010

Thirty Years Ago-Engagement

To recap our romance story, Wayne and I went on our first date (to the Osmond Concert) on Jan. 26, 1980. I dated other guys clear up to Feb. 16. I cancelled my mission call on Feb. 24 because I was falling in love with Wayne.

We went to the Girls' Preference Dance at BYU on Feb. 29, then out to eat at R. Spencer Hines Restaurant in Provo.

Here we are just before going to Preference.



We got engaged on the night between Feb. 29-March 1, 1980. (It was leap year so we decided to say we got engaged on March 1.)

We told our roommates on March 2, and Dave J. was the most surprised.

When I read this story, I am appalled at the speed of our engagement. What stupid idiots we were! I knew him so little, that I could have married him and found out later that he was an axe murderer or mentally unbalanced or any number of horrible things!

However, we have been exceedingly happily married for almost 30 years, so I can only say that God was looking out for me and led me right to the man of my dreams.

I also wonder if we had several guardian angels arranging things as we went bumbling along. I would love to meet them someday in the spirit world, and hear their side of the story.

1 comment:

  1. This made me laugh out loud! I think I used to own a dress like that, I know I went to a dance or two with a guy in a blue suit and I most definitely ate at R. Spencer Hines. Love the 80's

    ReplyDelete