Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Prejudice against Mormons is alive and well

I was talking to one of the women in charge of our stake's Nativity celebration.  Our stake has been doing this event for over a decade, and it is a huge lovely display of over 600 nativity scenes, plus live music over about three evenings.

This particular woman (Sister H.) is in charge of contacting all the high school choirs and other musical groups, and inviting them to sing at our event.

My daughter was in our high school's honor choir, and there have been other nice Mormon students in that same choir, so I asked Sister H. to contact Mr. B because I knew how much he enjoyed having those youth in his choir.

She said, "Oh, no, that choir refuses to come to our church."

I was stunned, and asked why.

She said, "Mr. B. said he would be happy to schedule it, but when he told his Booster parents there was one very influential mother who was very vocal and absolutely forbade permission.  Mr. B had to back down because of her."

Anyway, I feel bad about that.  I am thankful for all the other high school and civic groups that are willing to perform there, regardless of any doctrinal differences they feel.  I think it is almost always a positive experience for them.  The group members tend to mingle throughout the cultural hall after their performances, looking at all the nativity scenes, and they appear to enjoy the event quite well.

I'm sorry that the honor choir at P.C. High School is denied that same experience, just because of one very prejudiced woman.  Phooey on her.

No comments:

Post a Comment