Sunday, July 31, 2011

Regrets about Family Home Evening

We had a fifth Sunday lesson today, about parents' responsibility to teach their children the gospel in the home.  The teacher asked the class members to comment on how they had applied the principles of family prayer, family scripture study, family home evening, etc. in their family.

I listened to the comments and felt a lot of regret that we hadn't done as well as we should have with Family Home Evenings.  One thing I especially regret was that we didn't get into a habit of having each child give the lessons.  So to all my children, I am sorry we didn't give you the opportunities you should have had to give lessons to your siblings and parents in our home.

I guess the reason I am saying this on this blog is because maybe you young parents will realize, while your children are little, that no matter how hard something is, it is easier to start it early.  Yes, a five-year-old will complain, but a ten-year-old will complain more.  If you start out giving them little parts of the FHE lesson to do at an early age, and continue it throughout their lives, they will be accustomed to it and know that "this is the way we do it in our family."

I feel the same regrets over my children's table manners.  If only I would have concentrated on those consistently throughout the years!

Alas, I can't go back in time.  So learn from my mistakes, and pick the things you want to teach your children, and make sure you take the time to do it, before it is too late.



And here is Peter Schiff talking about the debt ceiling:

"This is not the crisis, the crisis is coming".  14 minutes long.
http://peterschiffchannel.blogspot.com/2011_07_30_archive.html

No comments:

Post a Comment