Thursday, April 16, 2009

"Back to the Basics" quilt


I made "Back to the Basics"(48"x50") in 2007 when I was feeling sick of everything I had been sewing. (Click on photo to make it bigger and see the stitching.) I was constantly making class samples for the quilting classes I was teaching (Crooked Log Cabins, Crazy Quilts, Curvaceous Piecing, and Fusible Houses) and I was tired of those techniques.

I found these string-pieced blocks in my UFO (unfinished objects) stash, and started whipping them together using some bright striped fabric for the sashing and great big black-and-white checks for the setting squares.

I used a huge polka-dot for one of the inner borders, plus another black-and-white-check for the other inner border (and for the binding).

When I got to that point, I thought, "I might as well be able to use this quilt for a class sample anyway" so I added a curvaceous pieced border, and now I can show it in my "Curvaceous" classes. So it wasn't a complete waste of time after all, even though I made it as a temper tantrum against doing my business.

I named it "Back to the Basics" because it was just simple stuff all thrown together for no reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment