Sunday, April 5, 2009

Kid's and Teen's Books

I read entirely too much as a child. During recess I laid on the sidewalk during recess and read the whole time, I can remember my fourth grade teacher trying to convince me that I should run and play.

Here are some of my favorite books from when I was younger. I read a bunch of these aloud to my own children.

CHILDREN'S

Harriet the Spy- my very favorite novel when I was young. Because of Harriet, I started keeping a diary and have kept one ever since. Haven't missed a day since 1971.

Miss Hickory- Carolyn Sherwin Bailey

The Borrowers series- Mary Norton

Winnie the Pooh series- A.A. Milne

Johnny Tremain- Esther Forbes

Across Five Aprils- Irene Hunt

Pippi Longstocking series- Lindgren

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle series- Macdonald

Hitty- Rachel Field

Oz series- L. Frank Baum

Tennis Shoes among the Nephites- Chris Heimerdinger (I read it when I was an adult)

Little House series- Laura Ingalls Wilder

Little Women, Little Men, Jo’s Boys, etc. by Louisa May Alcott


PRE TEEN AND TEEN

The Outsiders- S.E. Hinton

The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy- J.R.R. Tolkien

Roots- Alex Haley

Gone with the Wind- Margaret Mitchell. (I read a sequel, Scarlett by Alexandra Ripley, and didn’t like it much.)

No comments:

Post a Comment