Monday, April 13, 2009

General Conference quiz

Twice a year at General Conference I make a quiz for my seminary kids about the talks at the Sunday sessions of Conference. See how much you can remember. (The answers are at the end.)

If you want to hear the audio recordings, or read the text of any of the talks, go to lds.org

179th annual conference- April 2009 Sunday sessions

The Way of the Disciple Pres. Dieter F. Uchtdorf
(1) A friend of mine recently wrote to me, confiding that he was having a difficult time keeping his testimony strong and vibrant. He asked for counsel.
I wrote back to him and lovingly suggested a few specific things he could do that would align his life more closely with the teachings of the restored gospel. To my surprise, I heard back from him only a week later. The essence of his letter was this: “
1A-I tried what you suggested. It didnt work. What else have you got?”
1B-I tried what you suggested. I have just been called to be a bishop. Thanks a lot.
1C-I tried what you suggested. I have gained four pounds and have lost my job.

(2)Ours is not a __________________religion. We cannot receive the blessings of the gospel merely by observing the good that others do. We need to get off the sidelines and practice what we preach.
2A-Perplexing 2B-Vibrant 2C-Spectacular 2D-Secondhand

Come unto Him Elder Neal L. Anderson, new apostle
(3)Just after my call as a General Authority 16 years ago, in a stake conference where I accompanied President Boyd K. Packer, he said something I have not forgotten. As he addressed the congregation, he said, “I know who I am.” Then after a pause, he added, “I am a ___________.” He then turned to me, sitting on the stand behind him, and said, “And, Brother Andersen, you are a ___________ too.” Then he added these words: “If you ever forget it, the Lord will remind you of it instantly, and it won’t be pleasant.”
(The same answer is in both blanks)
3A-General Authority
3B-Nobody
3C-Child of God


Steven E. Snow, presidency of Seventy
(4)During the very early years of her life, our niece Lachelle spent the mornings with her grandmother. Lachelle soon turned five years old and was preparing to begin school. On their last morning together, Grandma Squire said. I love you so much; what will I ever do without you?”With wisdom beyond her five years, Lachelle looked up at her grandmother with big brown eyes. “Grandma,” she said,

4A-I’m going to be like the Three Little Pigs, and make my own way in the world.
4 B- I love you too, but it is time I got on with my life.
4C-You are too old, I want to hang out with people my own age.

(5)Pres. Snow told the story of an early member of the church in Utah, named Robert Gardner. After building up a home and business and then going broke, he was called on a mission to Canada. After he got back, he built up his business again. What happened to him next?

5A-He was called to be an apostle
5B-His wife died, and he lost his business again.
5C-He was called to settle southern Utah.
5D-A large hailstorm destroyed his crops.


His Arm is Sufficient Barbara Thompson
(6)She was visiting her nieces. At family prayer time, their mother reminded the children to pray for the bishop, who was having some serious health problems. Three-year-old Brooklyn offered the prayer that evening. She thanked Heavenly Father for their blessings, and then she fervently asked Him to

6A-“bless the bishop because his eyes are broken.”
6B-“bless the bishop, because he can’t come to church if his legs don’t work.”
6C-“bless the bishop, because he can’t talk good anymore.”


Unselfish Service Elder Dallin H. Oaks(7)One of our family members recently overheard a young couple on an airline flight explaining that they chose to

7A- Go on vacation instead of paying their tithing.
7B-Buy a new car instead of paying off their credit card debts.
7C- Have a dog instead of having children.


(8)Elder John A. Widtsoe declared, “We cannot walk as other men, or talk as other men, or do as other men, for we have a different destiny, obligation, and responsibility placed upon us, and we must fit ourselves [to it].”6 That reality has current application to every trendy action, including immodest dress. As a wise friend observed, “You can’t be a life saver

8A- if you don’t know how to swim.
8B- if you look like all the other swimmers on the beach.
8C-if you don’t have a lifeguard’s license.
8D-if you never go near the water.

Honorably Hold a Name and Standing Elder David. A. Bednar
(9) Shortly after I was called to serve as a stake president in 1987, I talked with a good friend who recently had been released as a stake president. During our conversation I asked him what he would teach me about becoming an effective stake president. He said he would have:

9A-Emphasized home teaching and visiting teaching more.
9B-Made his primary focus the worthiness of every member to receive temple covenants.
9C-Prepared his stake members better for emergencies and catastrophes.

(10)Elder Bednar told the story of Brigham Young. In 1861, while the Salt Lake Temple was under construction, Brigham Young encouraged the Saints: “If you wish this Temple built, go to work and do all you can. . . . Some say, ‘I do not like to do it, for

10A- “everytime we begin to build a temple, the bells of hell begin to ring:
10B- “everytime we begin to build a temple, persecution begins all around us.”
10C- “everytime we begin to build a temple, we have to give up our time and money to build it.”


Sacred Homes, Sacred Temples Elder Gary E. Stevenson
(11)Elder Stevenson told the story about his father, coming to his house in Logan, Utah to take him and his young sons for a ride in his truck. Our drive took us past the Logan Temple, and then we drove far into the country. Realizing his grandsons were in a place they had not been before, my father stopped the truck. “Do you think we are lost?” One of the boys made this profound reply:

11A-“Grandpa, I’m never lost when I’m with you.”
11B-Grandpa, you’re so smart, you would never get us lost.”
11C-“Grandpa, you are never lost when you can see the temple.”


(12)What is the total number of temples which have been dedicated or announced?
12A- 146 12B- 97 12C- 224 12D- 57


Gifts to Help us Navigate our Life Elder Jose A. Teixeira
(13)Elder Teixeira compared this to the Light of Christ and to the Gift of the Holy Ghost, because it can help answer these questions: . Where am I?Where am I going?What's the best way to get there?When will I get there?

13A-The Liahona
13B- A GPS receiver
13C- A map
13D- Google Maps

His Servants, the Prophets Elder F. Michael Watson of the Seventy(14)During his growing-up years in the small farming community, each summer he and his father herded sheep in the mountains. On one occasion it was so foggy they could not see their outstretched hands in front of them. His father suggested that I return to camp, and he would soon follow. Elder Watson remembers questioning how he would be able to find their camp in the thick fog. His father simply said,

14A-“Head toward the North Star and follow the creek and you will get there.”
14B-“Listen for the sheep bleating in the corral and you will get there.”
14C-“Head downhill, and turn at the second streambed, and you will get to camp.”
14D “Give the horse the reins, and he will get you to camp.”

Bring Souls unto Me Elder L. Tom Perry(15)Elder Perry told about driving and coming to a traffic jam caused by rescue vehicles. I was… curious—what was causing all the commotion? As I looked up the rock face along the east side of the entrance to Provo Canyon, I saw some men climbing. I assumed they were the search and rescue people. What were they climbing to?

15A- A hiker had fallen down the side of the mountain and was injured.
15B- A white sheep was stranded up on the rock face.
15C-An electrical line had become detached from its tower and was dangling into traffic.


(16)Elder Perry said that if we had the opportunity to open our mouths three times, what should we say to someone who knows nothing about our church?


Be of Good Cheer Pres. Thomas S. Monson(17)Pres. Monson told the story of a widowed LDS German woman living in Prussia at end of WWII. She was forced to go back to Germany, and had to travel 1000 miles on foot, with only a small wooden cart, taking her 4 young children.

17A.All four children died.
17B. Three of her children died, and she arrived with one child in Germany.
17C. Her two daughters died, and her two sons lived.



Answers
1A, 2D, 3B, 4B, 5C, 6A, 7C, 8B, 9B, 10A, 11C, 12A, 13B, 14D, 15B, 16-Jesus' Atonement, First Vision, Book of Mormon, 17A.

No comments:

Post a Comment