Saturday, April 11, 2009

Joseph Standing story

My mother recently wrote the following article for her ward newsletter, and I wanted my children to see it. Joseph Standing and Rutger Clawson were two missionaries in Georgia in the 1860's (or 1870's?). A mob killed Joseph Standing just a couple of months after he baptized my ancestors, the McDaniels and the Stovers. Rutger Clawson later became an apostle.


"My first ancestor converted to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was a second daughter, Lucy Belinda Osborne McDaniel born 1825:

Her second daughter was my great grandmother, Palestine Palmima McDaniel Stover born 1854:

Her second daughter was my grandmother, Martha Elizabeth Stover Shupe born 1875:

Her second daughter was my mother, Norma Shupe Clarkson born 1905:

Her second daughter was me, Christine Elizabeth Clarkson Kelly born 1930.

Each one of these righteous women has been an example to me of "How Faith Helped Them Overcome".

In 1879 Elder Joseph Standing left Salt Lake City on his second mission to Southern States Mission where he taught and baptized Lucy, Palestine and Cornelius (her husband) in Georgia. Two months later, this beloved elder was martyred by an angry mob.

Later, President John Taylor called the people from Georgia and Virginia to join the saints in Manassa, Colorado, where they lived the United Order and did all things possible to survive. The pioneers numbered less than 200 people and the amount of $400 was voluntarily paid into the common treasury. They were able to buy food, seeds for planting and cows for milk and butter. It was only by loving and serving each other that they survived, after having left all their worldly goods and their loved ones in the south.

The descendants of my grandmother, Martha Elizabeth Stover Shupe, now number over 1,000, nearly all of whom are faithful members of the Church. We have served over 243 missions so far and have gathered many thousands of family names and performed temple ordinances for most of our ancestors.

President Spencer W. Kimball gave this counsel in 1977, “I hope to see us dissolve the artificial boundary line we so often place between missionary work and temple and genealogical work because it is the same great redemptive work. For each name we extract from the records, we perform a sacred service, a missionary service. Whether for our own ancestors or some one else’s, we can open the doors to the holy temple and help join them with their families for eternity. We then can experience the joy of helping Heavenly Father with his living mission to all mankind.”

One day I was in the elevator and noticed a Family History Missionary with the name Elder Robert Standing on his badge. I asked if he was related to Elder Joseph Standing who was an early missionary in Georgia. He responded, "Yes, Joseph was my great uncle." I then explained that he had taught and baptized my ancestors.

A week later, I met with Elder Robert Standing and his wife, Lawrin, my sister Alice and her husband David Turley. We had an enjoyable time exchanging stories and pictures. Though Elder Standing was well aware of the circumstances surrounding his great uncle’s death, he acknowledged that he knew little of what success the missionaries had in sharing the gospel during that difficult and dangerous time in the Southern States.

He was pleased to learn that with the baptism of our McDaniel, Stover and other families, a branch was established in Georgia. Elder Joseph Standing was known as a "powerful preacher" and had been instrumental in the conversion of many others to the gospel. It was a joyous moment to share my gratitude for the blessings that have come to so many thousands of people because of the teachings of this great elder who faithfully served the Lord 130 years ago.

After being introduced to David Turley, Elder Standing asked if he knew of Theodore Turley, a Methodist minister who had been baptized in England by Elder Parley P. Pratt. In response, David acknowledged that he was his great-great grandfather. With delight, Elder Standing then told us that in 1837 Elder Theodore Turley was a missionary in Canada and had taught and baptized John Standing and his young son, James Standing.

What gratitude we feel for Elder Pratt who baptized Elder Turley who baptized James Standing, whose fourth son was Elder Joseph Standing who later baptized my ancestors and was martyred 2 months later. We realize that this was a miracle. Now we can better understand the great blessings that one person has made by sharing the gospel with another and how thousands and thousands of lives have been blessed eternally.

I am filled with gratitude for the dedication of many Latter-day Saint missionaries like Elder Theodore Turley who taught the gospel to many people in England and Canada and Joseph Standing who gave his life that my ancestors could be taught the gospel, also for my 243 family members who have served missions. I am also thankful for the many who have taught the gospel by example to their families and neighbors and and for the temple work that has been done for the dead during the past 130 years.

I have heart felt love that my ancestors have taught their families the true gospel, now we have 8 generations of Latter-day Saints. The greatest happiness and joy in my life comes from knowing that my 6 children, 25 grandchildren and 11 great grandchildren each have the knowledge that we have a living prophet, President Thomas S. Monson and that the Church of Jesus Christ has been restored to the earth.

My goal is eternal life in God’s kingdom at our BIG FAMILY REUNION with our loved ones all together.

YES IT WAS BY FAITH OF MY ANCESTORS AND BY MY FAITH THAT HELPED US OVERCOME."
By Christine Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment