Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Indian Territory

I grew up in Oklahoma, and there were plenty of Indians around. Everyone I knew called them "Indians". It never occurred to us that they were, actually, Native Americans.

Now I live in North Carolina, and my neighborhood is about 50% Indians, really truly Indians from the nation of India. So I really don't feel comfortable calling the Indians in Oklahoma "Indians" anymore, it sounds stupid to me. Duh, they are not from India!

With that said, I just went to the Woolaroc Museum near Bartlesville, Oklahoma, which is mainly about Native Americans and cowboys and oil wells and all the other things that have a history in Oklahoma. The museum was built in the 1920's, so all the displays refer to "Indians" but I will say "Native Americans" in this blog.


A really sick display of shrunken heads from Ecuador.


This statue of a pioneer family made me sad. It reminded me of my grandpa Hap's great-grandfather, James Box, who was shot with arrows and scalped by the Kiowas in northern Texas around 1866. His wife and daughters were taken prisoner, and the baby daughter Laura was killed. (see my blog entry March 16, 2009)


War hatchets from the Missouri tribe. Obviously they did not have the same idea that we have when we use the "heart" symbol.


This was one of about fifty Navajo rugs displayed in the museum. My grandparents Hap and Vinnie lived among Navajos in northern Arizona, and purchased many large beautiful Navajo rugs, some for as little as $100. My grandparents' rugs were way larger and more intricate than the ones in this museum. Unfortunately, my dad's brother Everett inherited all of them.



NEWS BULLETIN! We received the email yesterday that our ward is getting split on Oct. 3, in a meeting that will be held just before the General Priesthood Broadcast. Our Morrisville Ward will be split into the Morrisville and Green Level wards. During fast and testimony meeting this coming Sunday, I'm going to look around and see which man looks like the weight of the world is on his shoulders, and I'll assume that he is probably the new bishop.

No comments:

Post a Comment