Monday, September 21, 2009

Lin and the Rattlers



While we were in Oklahoma, we visited the Woolaroc Museum, which is a famous museum between Bartlesville and Barnsdall which was created by Frank Phillips (the founder of Phillips Petroleum). I had always thought "Woolaroc" was a Native American word, and was disappointed to find out that Phillips' secretary had made up the name from the landscape around there: Woods, Lakes, and Rocks.

My dad and I were looking at this stuffed rattlesnake, and he once again told me his two very favorite rattlesnake stories.

When my dad was a teenager, he was fishing in a creek in Arizona, and afterward climbed up a steep bank to go home. As his head came up even with the top of the bank, he came face to face with a curled up rattler. As the snake began to strike, he hit the snake with his fishing pole. He said, "I don't know where the snake ended up, but I went back into the creek."

Next story. Also when he was a teenager in Arizona.
He was hunting with some relatives. He said, "I was plumb give out, and thought I would sit down for awhile and wait for the others." As he started to sit on a big rotted log, he got the feeling that there was something wrong. He turned around and looked again, and saw that there was a curled up rattler exactly where he was about to sit. He said, "I shot it in the head. And the funny thing was, I wasn't tired at all anymore." He said he suddenly had plenty of energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment