Saturday, September 19, 2009

Songs that are best forgotten

When we were in Bartlesville, Oklahoma, last Saturday, we passed the grocery store that Mother shopped at when we were kids. My older sister Cindy said, "Amy, do you remember those songs we made up?" I was surprised, I had no idea that Cindy remembered them also. We spontaneously started singing all the words to these two songs, which we had created as children on the numerous times when Mother left us out in the car while she shopped (of course parents would be arrested for that today, but back then kids were left alone all the time.)

I can very clearly remember laying in the floorboards of the back seat of our car while we made these up.

Here are the lyrics to our two exciting songs, and if you could hear the tunes, you would be equally impressed with our melody-writing abilities.

Song #1, I'll just call it "What I Want When I Grow Up", written between ages 5-7.

I'm gonna drive a pink Toyota,
My husband's gonna drive a blue Toyota,
I'm gonna live in Honolulu,
We're gonna have a girl and a boy.

I'm gonna live in an underground house,
I'm gonna paint it purple,
I'm gonna have a dog named ________ (can't remember)
Thats all, Thats all.


Song #2 - Untitled (A different tune, but equally bad. Also written between ages 5-7)

I went to the store
And opened the door
I bought a light
It was so bright
Then I went home
To my home in Rome
And that is all
Of my funny ball.


I was amazed that after about 43 years, Cindy and I could remember the tunes and sing every word.

No comments:

Post a Comment