Monday, September 28, 2009

Justice

I am looking forward to watching General Conference this weekend, Oct. 3 and 4. If you have satellite (DirecTV) here in NC, it is on the BYU channel, 374, 12 noon to 2 pm, and 4 pm to 6 pm both Saturday and Sunday.

I am telling my seminary class to watch the Sunday sessions very carefully, because I always give a multiple choice test in seminary the next day, and the students receive fake "seminary money" for each correct answer (they buy stuff at our seminary auction using that money.)

The other exciting thing that will happen, is that our Morrisville Ward is going to be divided on Oct. 3, and the new Green Level ward will be created. Everyone is very curious to see where the dividing line will be. All we know is that it will be split into a north and south ward. But our Morrisville Ward had 230 children in Primary, so I heard that they had to be really careful with the dividing line to make sure they got a similar number of children in each new ward. We'll see how that turns out.

Well, on to another subject. JUSTICE. Doing what is right is important to me. And seeing someone blatantly breaking the law causes me to call the police. This is what Zac and I did in May when we both saw a person back into another car, get out and look at the damage, and then drive away.

We told the police about it, and filled out a police report, and agreed to be witnesses in the case. Zac was served a subpoena last week, and he and I went to the Wake County courthouse on Friday, where we were asked to speak to the defense attorney in a closed room. We were able to give our very solid testimonies as eyewitnesses to her. I guess she realized that we had a strong case against the perpetrator, and that we were willing to testify about it in a criminal trial, because after that, the defense attorney spoke to the perp in another closed room, and the perp pleaded guilty, instead of going through a trial. We felt triumphant!




The District Attorney spoke to me and said that most witnesses never show up, especially for hit-and-runs. So I think we did a good thing.

And I am especially proud of Zac, because he was very willing to do this whole thing, even though it was probably scary. I am thankful he wanted to do what was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment