Friday, April 23, 2010

Birthday and Eyeglasses

It's my birthday, and I am planning to sew baby quilts all day for the stake baby quilt project. That is the funnest thing I can think of. I am also going to bake brownies, and eat a hot fudge brownie sundae, because that is my favorite dessert.

I went for an eye exam yesterday, to the optometrist we have been going to for years, because that is where our insurance is. They carry normal regular eyeglass frames. Every year for about 10 years I have gone there with the intention of buying fun, colorful, exciting frames, and every year I settle for normal ones because that is all they have.

I read a book a few years ago, (one of the Sweet Potato Queens books) and the author was criticizing people who are getting old and they haven't yet done what they want to do. She said, (paraphrasing) "If you are fifty and you don't have pink gogo boots yet, it is your own fault."

I have thought about that a lot. I am fifty-one, and I spend a little money here, and a little money there. If I can't get my act together to buy those things that I really really want, it is my own fault.

So, back to the optometrist story. I told the lady nicely that I wanted bright colors, with rhinestones or something, and I was going to buy them somewhere else. She asked me to come over to the computer, and then showed me some different colored frames on a website, and said that her suppliers carried them but she never ordered them because they were hard to sell. BUT ESPECIALLY FOR ME, she was going to call her suppliers and have them bring in a special selection of more exciting frames, then send them back after I chose some.

Now I am excited to see what cute glasses I can finally get. As Bill Murray said in "Groundhog Day", "I'm not going to follow their rules anymore!" I might buy funky flowered reading glasses AND plaid or sparkly distance glasses, so that means I get double the fun.

I told Wayne my goal is to get new glasses and a really tall hairstyle and look like the women in Far Side cartoons. He was thrilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment