Wednesday, April 14, 2010

One Second After- Book Review



One Second After- by William R. Forstchen

Remember how disappointed I was in the movie "2012"? I wanted it to be about the end of the world, how people coped after all of civilization got ruined by natural disasters, but the movie wasn't about that at all.

Well, in this book I got exactly what I wanted. At the start of this novel, an enemy nation sets off Electro Magnetic Pulses (EMPs) by detonating nuclear bombs over all the countries they hate.

Every computerized gizmo in the free world is fried.

And chaos ensues.

In reading the Book of Mormon all these years, I know that the prophecies contained therein are true, and they are going to happen again. So I look for those types of things to happen when I read "end of the world" novels. And this one really does hold true to the image I have formed in my mind.

When transportation, food and water supplies, and governments are crippled, the people in this novel start breaking down into smaller groups depending on leaders to help them. (In the Book of Mormon, people break up into tribes.) Militias are formed to guard the city's supplies from the outsiders. Disease and plagues and sicknesses break out because there are no medical supplies and no fresh water. It is a grim picture, and in the book a lot of it happens within about three weeks of the EMP. After that, there is starving and more disease. I agree with the author, I do think all those things can happen in a short amount of time.

This was a really gripping book, and I recommend it to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment