Saturday, April 24, 2010

Wallowing in Fabric

I just got back from the stake service day, where I was in charge of the baby quilt project. About 15 women helped me. Lots and lots and LOTS of fabric was donated, and we sorted it, cut lots of it into 6" strips, cut lots of backings, cut batting for each one, and packaged them into kits. Then the kits got taken to the various wards to finish. (All the people who take the kits are supposed to turn them in at the General Relief Society broadcast in September.)

Today was really just the start. We created 32 kits today, plus cut enough fabric to go into about 50 more kits (we just don't have the backings and battings cut for them yet.) I will be scheduling at least two other work days where we will do this same thing again. Last year we got 65 done. This year I hope we finish more than that.

I cannot tell you how much fun I have when I have a roomful of donated fabric and I get to design which fabric goes with what, and how to best cut it and sew it to make a decent little quilt. IT IS SO MUCH FUN!!!!!! Yesterday was my birthday, and I spent all day doing that, and it was one of my best birthdays ever. (Plus the brownie hot fudge sundae was stupendous, thank you Zac.)

Next we have to unload our 15-passenger van, which was pretty full when I drove it to the stake center this morning. Now it contains even MORE fabric, because so much was donated. It will be great fun to sort it all out again as I put it away, in preparation for those upcoming work days.

Also.....

Yesterday Wayne and I (and our dau-in-law Tiffany) got to watch Tara perform in the musical "Pippin" at her high school. I really enjoyed the costumes, and the humorous dancing, and my favorite character was the wicked stepmother. It was fun to see Tara really relaxing and dancing in her role as one of the Players.

No comments:

Post a Comment