Saturday, December 12, 2009

C is for the Christ Child

(Note about our stake Nativity Celebration: I just learned that we have a record 448 nativities displayed, and there have been 1400 visitors to the display so far, on Thursday and Friday. Today is the last day, ending at 9 pm. Look at http://apexnativity.org/ for the times and directions.)



When I was young, we went to the Dickerson's house on Christmas Eve for a ward singalong. For the closing number, we always sang this song. It is my favorite Christmas song.


C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S

When I was but a youngster,
Christmas meant one thing
That I'd be getting lots of toys that day.
I learned a whole lot different
when Mother sat me down
and taught me to spell Christmas this way:

C is for the Christ Child
Born upon this day
H for Herald Angels in the night.
R's for our Redeemer,
I means Israel
S is for the Star that shone so bright.
T is for Three Wise Men,
they who travelled far.
M is for the Manger where He lay.
A's for All He stands for,
S means Shepherds came,
And thats why there's a Christmas day.


My heart is sad every time I go in any store, and see the aisles and aisles and rows of Santa themed decorations, with nothing at all to do with Christ anywhere in the store.

I am on my own personal quest to put Christ back in Christmas, and steer away from anything "Santa", just because in our culture Santa is everywhere and Christ is non-existent.

No comments:

Post a Comment