Friday, December 11, 2009

Ten Years Ago- Temple Open House

Ten years ago today was the last day of the Raleigh Temple Open House, which was held for eleven days (including the VIP tours and the public tours) in December 1999. I was the Public Affairs sub-committee chairman for the open house. Randolyn was my media assistant.

Here are my diary entries for those ten days:

Wed. Dec. 1- At temple all day, VIP tours and media tours (given by Loren C. Dunn, a General Authority of the Church). Amhurst neighborhood tour 7-9 pm, 180 people.

Thurs. Dec. 2- At temple all day. Lost my voice completely today. News and Observer announced by mistake that the public tours start today (they start tomorrow). Had to give public tours to 19 people in between the VIP tours.

Fri. Dec. 3- At temple all day. Had no voice. VIP tours mixed with public tours. The public came too early. I gave public tours to 109 people in between VIP tours, before public tours were supposed to begin.

Sat. Dec. 4- Interacted with television stations, providing them with videotapes.
We had a total of 275 people go through VIP tours this week, and 1654 people in the public tours on Friday.

No tours Sunday.

Mon. Dec. 6- To temple open house 4-6. My voice is getting a little better. Public open house 1575 people today.

Tues. Dec. 7- Sat. Dec. 11-( I didn't have to work at the open house these days.)

End of the day Sat. Dec. 11- A total of 31,638 people had toured the temple.

I remember Dec. 1-6, 1999 as some of the most difficult days of my life. And Wayne was so supportive! Our six kids were Adam-17, Isaac-16, Seth-14, Bryce-11, Tara-7, and Zac-6. And I was gone almost all day every day, and so exhausted. Thanks to all of you for putting up with it.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting. Loren Dunn's daughter, Mary McClure is in our ward and her husband is our doctor. Also Loren Dunn was the 70 over Jim's mission and he had some sacred interactions with him (advice wise).

    ReplyDelete