Monday, July 26, 2010

Got Water?

I'm putting together a powerpoint presentation for my ward, and one of the things I will show them is where you can keep your water storage. (If you are willing for me to take photos of your food storage or water storage, please tell me. I won't give your name during the presentation.)

We have some big barrels of water in our garage, but I also want water in smaller quantities since it is easier to use, or to grab in case we ever have to evacuate.

I wash out every juice bottle and every 2-or-3 liter sodapop bottle we use, and fill them with tap water. (Provident Living says chlorinated water is fine to store without doing anything to it.) (And don't use milk cartons, they develop leaks.) Then I hide them all over the house.






Everyone has a sofa. There is usually a little space behind it, and I can easily fit 17 or 34 bottles behind there, depending on if there is one row or two.





We have an armoire in the living room which holds our TV. Since it is placed diagonally in the corner, I put a bunch of bottles in that little corner behind it.

Once, in the 1990's, our water pipe to our house broke so we had no water for a couple of days. In that amount of time, we used up 60 sodapop bottles full of water, just to flush toilets and wash with.

Please, don't throw away another bottle until you have filled up every little nook, you will be thankful for it someday!

(I actually don't have room for any more, but I am saving some now to give to the missionaries in our ward, so they can fill them up and store them at their apartment. It is hurricane season, you know.)

1 comment:

  1. Good ideas! I use all my soda and juice bottles for water storage, (except for the little ones, which I save to put worm tea in.) My favorite storage place is my chest freezer, which doesn't currently have a lot of food in it. When I fill them I leave some room and then squeeze until the water level reaches the top. That way the bottle can expand when the water freezes. By filling any empty space in the freezer it uses less energy to keep the food frozen, and if the power goes out the ice will help the food stay frozen longer.
    When we go camping I put the two liter bottles in the ice chest. There's no melt water and I can then use the thawed water for washing dishes or the like.
    (As for the worm tea, that's another topic..great natural fertilizer that I 'decant' from my worm composting bin)

    ReplyDelete