Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Non-Perfectionism in Quilting

I just loved that post from FlyLady that I posted yesterday.

One of my favorite quotes for a few years now has been "Perfectionists are mislabeled. They should really be called Imperfectionists because they only see the imperfections."

I have made it a point to be against perfectionism in most of what I do.

My house doesn't have to be perfect, but I do have to feel comfortable in it.

Each of my seminary lessons didn't have to be perfect, but I had to know that I prepared to the best of my ability, and let the Holy Ghost help me from there.

My quilts don't have to be perfect, when I get to a step where I have to make a decision ("what should I put for a border?") I just mess around until I find a good solution and then I do it. I don't ponder for years or strive to get the "Perfect" border, I just find a good one and put it on. Same with quilting designs all over the finished quilt. They don't have to be perfect, they just need to be suitable and nice and then the quilt is finished.

If I waited to find the Perfect solution for every single decision that quilt would never get finished.

So I believe Finished is Better than Perfect. And a lot of people like my quilts, so I guess that strategy is working.

No comments:

Post a Comment