Sunday, July 4, 2010

Fourth of July, Progress on My After-Seminary Goals

Today is Independence Day. I am SO THANKFUL for the freedoms we enjoy in this nation and have a knowledge that the Lord prepared the Constitution for us. I love this quote by President Ezra Taft Benson:

"I testify that the God of heaven selected and sent some of his choicest spirits to lay the foundation of this (the American) government a a prologue to the restoration of the gospel and the second coming of our Savior".
(in Conference Report, Apr. 1976, p. 138; or Ensign, May 1976, p. 93)


President Benson also said that there are four things we must do to protect and care for our divine freedoms:

"1- We must be righteous....2-We must learn the principles of the Constitution and then abide by its precepts...3-We must become involved in civic affairs...4-We must make our influence felt..."
(Ezra Taft Benson, The Constitution, A Heavenly Banner [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Company, 1986] pp. 28-30).




While I was teaching seminary, I wondered what I would do once I got released. Now I am released and I am trying to fulfill my goals.

One thing I worried about was whether I would slack off in my scripture study. So I decided to read a little in "Preach My Gospel" every day and do all the exercises in that book. It is really slow going, but I am doing it. I am only on page 14.

I haven't learned "New Family Search" yet but I did go to the family history center once and they helped me get signed up. I still need to do more with that.

I am trying to get all my food storage inventoried. And I want to use my food storage better. I cooked some TVP Taco flavored meat, to use in some Mexican food. We'll see how it tastes. I own a can of each of these flavors: Taco, Beef, Chicken, and Sloppy Joe. Some of it is pretty decent, especially if you mix it half and half with real meat. But I really never remember to use it.

Also I am going to make some alfalfa sprouts.

And I have been working for a month on getting my PowerPoint presentations ready for my teaching trip to Texas. And I am happy to say, I am almost ready. I hope those guilds like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment