Thursday, January 14, 2010

Hick

I don't know if any of my kids know this, but I first met Wayne in the fall of 1979 when I was over at his house in Provo visiting his roommate Dave. Wayne walked into the house after getting the mail. He was reading a letter from his parents (we didn't phone long distance much then, it was too expensive, also, email hadn't been invented).

Wayne came in the room with some exciting news. He announced to his roommates and me, "My folks say that in their ward in Atlanta they have just started a pilot program to have a three hour block of meetings on Sundays!" (Instead of the Priesthood and Sunday School in the morning, then sacrament meeting in the evening, and Primary and Relief Society on weekdays).

That first sentence I ever heard him utter was an unfortunate one, in terms of making a first impression on me. I had never heard anyone my age call their parents "my folks".

I thought he was a hick.

P.S. The Church implemented the 3-hour block program all over the world the next year, about the same time we got married, June 1980.

No comments:

Post a Comment