Thursday, January 21, 2010

Wild Weather

News Flash! Tonight is the meeting between the church and the builders! I hope we get our ward building!

Also, tonight is the second episode of Project Runway, my favorite show! I can't wait!


Has anyone been feeling like there has been an eerily high number of natural disasters in the past few years (months, weeks)?
I'd say we had all better be prepared for more.

It is really scary to see all the Haiti news coverage every day, it really gets inside my head and then I think about earthquakes too much. Things constantly pop into my mind, like "If an earthquake hit right now, what would I do?" I really don't like it.

Well, with that said, I just read Wednesday's post in Totally Ready, entitled "A Dire Weather Warning for the West Coast of the United States" which contains a report from James A. Hobbs PhD from the NOAA, telling about the extremely record breaking severe weather that is hitting California this week. (And remember, anything that hits California will eventually have repercussions on all of us as it moves eastward across the nation.)

(I just looked at the post again, now there is a new post up so you'll have to scroll down for yesterday's post.)

His computer models predicted "tens of feet of snow" in the Sierras" and 20 inches of rain in some areas. (I think that if you were the Donner Party, and you had this weather report, you probably shouldn't plan to travel through the passes of California in the near future.)

His report is quite lengthy and detailed, so if you want to read it go to Totally Ready, but here is the final paragraph:

In short, the next 2-3 weeks (at least) are likely to be more active across California than any other 2-3 week period in recent memory. The potential exists for a dangerous flood scenario to arise at some point during this interval, especially with the possibility of a heavy rain-on-snow event during late week 2. In some parts of Southern California, a whole season’s worth of rain could fall over the course of 5-10 days. This is likely to be a rather memorable event. Stay tuned.


I might have been late in posting this (maybe all this weather is already happening).

I hope the severe weather in California does not travel on to affect my kids and relatives in Utah and Arizona. But if this blog post helps you prepare ahead of time, then I'm happy to send out the warning.

(Note about Totally Ready.com: That blog records the date on the post in a weird way. That blog post is dated Jan. 01, 2010 but it was really posted on Jan. 20. She says she got the letter from James A. Hobbs PhD "yesterday" so I think she got the letter on Jan. 19, or Jan. 18. So maybe some of that weird weather is still in the future.)

1 comment:

  1. Nope, happening right NOW as I read this. Scary wind and too much rain for AZ to handle.

    ReplyDelete